Enlighten is held across various sites.
Walk or Ride
If you feel like taking in the amazing autumn sights of Canberra, Enlighten can be reached on foot or by bike. Bike racks are available at various Enlighten 2018 participating attractions within the Entertainment Precinct for visitors who elect to ride to the event.
Free shuttle buses will operate two routes on loop March 2, 3, 9 & 10.
5pm – 11:30pm
City Bus Interchange Platform 10 – Regatta Point stop – Langton Ave
6pm – 11:30pm
Russell Offices – National Archives
Loops take approximately 15 minutes during normal traffic conditions and 30 minutes during peak traffic.
Bus stops on King Edwards Terrace, King George Terrace and Parkes Place East will not be serviced during road closure times.
- Friday – Routes 2, 3 & 6 Servicing Langton Crescent & Queen Victoria Terrace (diversion applicable after 6.00 pm)
- Friday – Route 300 Servicing Commonwealth Avenue
- Friday – Routes 4, 5 & 80 Servicing Kings Avenue
- Saturday – Routes 934 & 935 Servicing Langton Crescent & Queen Victoria Terrace (diversion applicable after 6.00 pm)
- Saturday – Routes 900 & 932 Servicing Commonwealth Avenue
- Saturday – Route 938 Servicing Kings Avenue
National Museum Of Australian
- Friday – Route 3 Lennox Crossing
- Saturday – Route 934 Servicing Lennox Crossing
Australian National Botanic Gardens
- Saturday – Route 981 Servicing Botanic Gardens Turnaround
For timetable and route information please visit transport.act.gov.au or call 13 17 10.
After 5pm there are various free public car parks throughout the Parliamentary Triangle. There is also parking at each of the participating attractions. On weekdays and weekends the public car parks within the Parliamentary Zone will operate under normal conditions.
Due to traffic congestion during the event it is recommended that patrons avoid parking in the National Library of Australia. Please note the car park in Questacon will not be accessible from 5pm onwards.
These car parks are in close walking distance to the event precinct.
It is an offence under the National Land (Road Transport) Ordinance 2014 to park a vehicle on open space. Open space is any area that is not designed for the movement or parking of motor vehicles, such as grassed areas, footpaths and landscaped areas.
The National Capital Authority will be enforcing parking regulations for the duration of this event, and attendees should ensure they park legally to avoid the risk of an infringement being issued to their vehicle.
Special Access Parking
Free accessible parking is available at most public car parks and Enlighten 2018 participating attraction car parks. Parking is limited and vehicles must display an authorised Accessible parking permit.
Road Closures and Traffic Management
The following road closures will be implemented between the hours of 6:30pm and Midnight on event days only:
- King George Terrace – between Parkes Place East and Parkes Place West
- King Edward Terrace – between Parkes Place East and Parkes Place West
- Parks Place West from the National Library car park
- National Library of Australia internal loop road
- Parliament Square at Queen Victoria Terrace at the rear of the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House to restrict unauthorised vehicle access
- Queen Elizabeth Terrace
The following road closure will be implemented between the hours of 5:00pm and midnight on event nights:
- Parks Place West (after the entry/exit at the National Library car park.
The following road closure will be implemented in the event that the National Library car park fills to capacity:
- Parks Place West at King Edward Terrace
The following road closure will be implemented between the hours of 5:00pm and 10pm on non-event days and 5:00pm to midnight on event nights:
- Mall Road West (Questacon Bus Loop).
Qualified and experienced traffic management personnel will be positioned at each of the respective intersections to assist with direction, traffic and parking management.
Traffic management personnel will also be positioned between the hours of 6.30pm and midnight on event days at the following locations:
- Parkes Place West closure to restrict unauthorised vehicle access.
- King Edward Terrace and Parks Place West Traffic lights to facilitate safe pedestrian and traffic movement.
- Parliament Square at the rear of the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House to restrict unauthorised vehicle access.
Taxi and Ride Share
Existing taxi ranks on Parkes Place East and the National Gallery of Australia will operate as normal.