- Enlighten Festival reminds all spectators that hot air ballooning is weather dependant. Events may be delayed or cancelled if the conditions are unsafe for flying. A decision to delay activities or cancel them will only be made from 6:00am each morning. To find out if the balloons are flying spectators can phone local radio stations, call Access Canberra on 13 22 81 or check in with Enlighten Facebook and enlightencanberra.com/balloons from 6.15am during the festival.
- Balloons take between 15-30 mins to inflate, depending on their size. Inflation usually commences at 6.15am with the majority of the balloons launched prior to 7.00am. The early bird catches the worm.
- Don’t forget your camera to capture all the stunning balloons.
- Bring cash if you wish to purchase breakfast at the balloon field.
- Bring along warm clothing for possible chilly Canberra mornings.
- Bringing pets to the event is discouraged.
- If a balloon is launching or landing near you, stand well clear and not in front of where the balloon is heading.
- Stay well clear of all equipment and walk around, not over ropes.
- Ensure young children are closely supervised at all times.
- Follow instructions issued by pilots and crew.
- Do not smoke near the balloons. Highly flammable propane gas is used in the inflation process.
- If you are driving while balloons are overhead, please watch the road and not the balloons. Or alternatively pull over and stop in a safe place.
- Pets can be frightened by the balloons and noise of the gas burners. Be mindful of this if the balloons are overhead and take necessary precautions.
- Kings Edward Terrace will be closed from Parkes Place East to Parkes Place West from 5.45am to approximately 9.45am each day of the Canberra Balloon Spectacular.
Plan your morning
Road Closures, Parking and Transport
- Parking in the Parliamentary Zone is the best option for those driving to the event.
- Standard Transport Canberra bus timetables apply for the event. Visit transport.act.gov.au for timetables and routes.
- All attendees should be aware that it is an offence under the National Land (Road Transport) Ordinance 2014 to park a vehicle on open space in the area where the Canberra Balloon Spectacular is being held. Open space is any area that is not designed for the movement or parking of motor vehicles, such as grassed areas, footpaths and landscaped areas. The National Capital Authority will be enforcing parking regulations for the duration of this event, and attendees should ensure they park legally to avoid the risk of an infringement being issued to their vehicle. Paid parking applies on business days from 8.30am.
Food and Drink
- The Belconnen Lions Club’s hot breakfast will be available for purchase at the event each morning.
- You can also sink your teeth into a chorizo breakfast burrito from Mr Papa’s Peruvian Street Food, dig into a plate of light and fluffy Poffertjes (Dutch pancakes), awaken with a delicious coffee at Mobile Espresso Café, and roll up for a sweet or savoury crepe from Le Petit Breton including gluten free options!
What to bring
- Warm clothing for cool mornings
- ATM facilities will be available at the balloon field on weekends and the Monday public holiday. If you wish to make breakfast/coffee and other purchases on weekdays please bring cash.